Richard Cave has over 30 years of experience dealing in the Decorative Arts, having joined Mallett & Son (Antiques) Ltd of New Bond Street, London, in 1990. He studied Art History at Edinburgh University, specializing in the Royal iconography of Islamic art, Mediaeval church architecture and Netherlandish painting of the 15th century. He founded Cave Decorative Arts in 2016.
Richard's expertise is primarily in 18th and 19th century English and Continental furniture. He has a broad knowledge of Decorative Arts from the late 17th century up to the present day. He is particularly interested in collections of an eclectic nature and how pieces interact within today’s interiors. He has worked with a number of private clients, both in the UK and abroad, sourcing rare and beautiful pieces for their existing collections. He looks for items that have great charm, beauty and workmanship, that will complement their surroundings in a peaceful yet vibrant manner.
- Source works for collectors, interior decorators, curators and architects.
- Advice on handling items privately for sale, on a consigned basis.
- Advice on the process of buying or selling at auction.
- Advice regarding the restoration and conservation of furniture, objects and paintings.
- Experienced in upholstery, from the grandest four-poster beds to piano stools.
- Experienced in mounting and framing all fine art.
- Experienced in all aspects of interior decoration and interior arrangement.
- Experienced in shipping all fine art.