Richard Cave has gained over 25 years’ experience dealing in the European decorative arts with Mallett & Son (Antiques) Ltd. He joined the company straight from Edinburgh University where he studied the history of art, specialising in Islamic art, Mediaeval church architecture and 15th century Netherlandish painting.
His passion is for early English furniture and the decorative arts from the late 17th century into the 18th up to the present and the way that pieces will interact with today’s interiors. During his career he has worked with a number of private clients, both in the UK and abroad, sourcing rare and beautiful pieces that successfully fit within their existing, eclectic collections. He looks for items that have great charm, beauty and workmanship that will compliment their surroundings, in a peaceful yet vibrant manner.
Ancillary Services• Work with collectors, interior decorators, curators and architects to help source specific pieces.
• Offer advice on handling items discreetly for sale, on a consigned basis.
• Advise on the process of buying or selling at auction.
• Offer advice regarding the restoration and conservation of furniture, objects and paintings.
• Experienced in upholstery, from the grandest four poster beds to piano stools.
• Experienced in framing watercolours, drawing, prints and oil paintings.
• Assist with the decoration of a client’s house and help with the overall interior arrangement.
• I work with many specialist art carriers and have experience in exporting and importing works of art.